With Hero, you are able to track cases of COVID within your student community using posts on a specially formatted page. This information can then be extracted as a spreadsheet formatted exactly to the specifications of the NZ Ministry of Health.
All schools now have new templated page called COVID-19 Tracking available in Hero.
This page is set to confidential so that only the Principal and those with delegated authority can see or add content. For more information on confidential page access see Granting a Staff Member Access to View Confidential Student Pages
The COVID-19 page includes a set of tags aligned with the MoH spreadsheet. Do not alter these.
An associated Auto Group will generate when students have content added to their COVID-19 page.
If your school has a case of COVID-19, please follow the guidance below:
- Navigate to the student identified as a case.
- Click on the three dots menu > COVID-19 Tracking page
- Click Share something to draft a new post.
- Set the post date to the date of infection and add the case number to the post content.
- Click NEXT
- Click on the relevant tags to record additional information. Note: you may need to zoom out your screen to see the full tag text.
- Reuse the post to any students who were in contact with the student (the whole class for example). For instructions see the help article Reusing a Post
- Update the tags on any of the students who have had the post reused (e.g wearing of a face covering, vaccination status, type of contact). The easiest way to do this is from the COVID-19 Tracking Auto group > All Posts.
- Contact the Hero Helpdesk from the (?) in your Hero top tool bar to request the COVID-19 Tracking spreadsheet. Please specify the date of the infection.
- The spreadsheet will be sent to the school Principal.
- Double-check the information on the spreadsheet before sending it to the MoH.
- Extract all the students who are in the ‘COVID-19 Tracking’ Auto Group, via the Hero API.
- Check the attendance for the group on the selected date. Any students not present on the date are removed.
- Check for posts on the selected date. Any students without a post are removed.
- Check against the MoH formula for ‘Close’ contacts. Remove any students who are not ‘Close’.
- Automatically format the information as per the MoH specifications. This includes adding the country code to phone numbers and formatting dates of birth.
- Generate the spreadsheet with the details for the close contacts. The spreadsheet is an exact copy of the MoH template and does not require editing before sending.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q- What happens if a school is notified of a positive case of COVID outside of normal school hours?
A- The Hero Helpdesk will process requests for the Tracing spreadsheet as soon as possible within the hours of 8am - 5pm Monday to Friday.
Q- Why can't I see the COVID-19 Tracking Page?
A- The COVID-19 Tracking page is set to be a Confidential page. You may not have Confidential or Access Control Level permissions to view confidential pages. Please speak with your School Principal who will be able to give you this level of access.
Q- Will there be groups automatically made for each case number exposure?
A- No, all students with a post to the COVID-19 Tracking page will be grouped together in the COVID-19 Tracking auto group. Unfortunately, it is impractical to build groups by post entry date, however the spreadsheet effectively does this for you.
Q- Why are the Confirmed Positive Case as well as the Close Contacts all marked and classified as the same?
A - Close contacts are determined by the MoH formula which is in the spreadsheet. This is based on the tags that are entered so as long as these are checked and correct, the close contacts will be automatically added to the spreadsheet. The case number added to the post is used by the MoH to track cases. The comments field can be used to indicate the confirmed case.