A Line Item is the individual invoice that is created for the event, activity or contribution. It uses the Ledger Item as the 'master', however detail can be altered at the Line Item level. The Line Item is what is visible on the student and what the caregiver will see on their statement. It is what will be used to create the financial reports.
A Line Item can be created for an individual student or in bulk for a group of students. When creating a Line Item for a group of students, all students will have the same line item detail.
CREATING A LINE ITEM
1. Navigate to the Administration menu. If you have a wide-screen device this will already be visible on the left-hand side of your screen. If not, click on the Administration menu icon at the top left-hand side of your screen.
2. Under the heading Administration click on Finance
3. Click LEDGER ITEMS to display a table of the current ledger items for this year. A Ledger Item that was used in the previous year can be copied forward if necessary. Refer to Creating and Maintaining Ledger Items.
4. Check the default values
A Ledger Item can be used multiple times with different defaults. Amending the default description, date or cost will NOT affect any previously created line items. Editing the Ledger Item Name WILL change previously created line items. To amend the defaults click the EDIT button.
Note: It is advisable not to amend the Ledger Item Name as this will change what the caregivers see on historical line items. Changing the 'default' values is a school decision. If you do reuse ledger items with different defaults, your list will be kept smaller but if you create new Ledger Items for each set of line items, it is clearer to see what the under-lying line items relate to.
5. Update the information to what you need for the line items you are about to create and click SAVE LEDGER ITEM.
6. Click ADD LINE ITEMS
7. You will now be taken through a comprehensive three Step selection process in order to obtain the precise group of students you need.
Step 1: Check defaults of Item details: These can be amended if needed but this will not amend the Ledger Item master. If they are incorrect, it is better to click CANCEL and amend the master. Click NEXT.
Step 2: Select your Groups: Your groups selection is refined with each level chosen. Once complete, click NEXT to continue.
- Groups to include (mandatory) - This is your main group and can be one group or multiple groups. Groups can be classes, auto groups, shared groups or your own personal groups. For all current students, choose the 'Current Student' auto group.
- Groups to exclude - You may have a group of students that are excluded from your main selection, e.g. International Students, ICAS students as they are sitting an exam that day. Select any groups to be excluded.
- Filter by Year Level - You may only want a particular Year Level within a group e.g. you want to bill only the Year 7s in Rooms 3, 4 and 5. Your main group would be Rooms 3, 4 and 5 and your Filter by Year Level would be Year 7.
- Filter by Family Position - These buttons would most likely be used for your School Donation billing.
Your selection screen may look like this:
Step 3: Verify Selection of individuals: All current and pre-enrolled students are displayed. Those highlighted in teal represent the students selected using the criteria from the previous step.
Note: If a student is highlighted in pink, this denotes that this Ledger Item has already been used for this student in the current year. It may be selected again if it is a multiple use item e.g. stationery (pink is a warning only).
You may have a student or two who needs to be excluded as they will be on holiday at the time of the event or they are charged a different value as they have a hardship grant. To exclude individual students click the student to remove the blue highlight (unselect). Once completed, click ADD <xx> LINE ITEMS.
8. The number of Line Items created will be confirmed. Click CLOSE
9. The line items will now be visible on the selected students and on their caregiver statement.
10. You can also view the line items created by selecting the VIEW LINE ITEMS