A refund is the process of returning the amount paid for a Line Item due to an event not happening as planned. The amount paid can be either paid back to the caregiver (a REFUND) or it can be transferred back to Payment in Advance to be reused on another occasion (TRANSFER).
A 'REFUND' will appear on your Bank Reconciliation statement as, in essence, it is the movement of funds out of your bank account back to the caregiver.
A refund/transfer can be the full amount or a partial refund.
HOW TO REFUND A PAYMENT MADE ON A LINE ITEM
1. Find the student using one of the search tools available
2. Click on the student Finance ($) icon
3. Navigate to the Line Item you wish to refund and click on the blue credit amount to see the payments made for that Line Item
4. Click ISSUE REFUND
5. Enter the amount to refund
Choose if you are actioning a REFUND (money returned to caregiver) or TRANSFER TO PIA (money retained by the school for future use). Enter the reason and date. Click REFUND.
5. A resulting Refund or Transfer transaction will be created. This will be used to form the basis of your posting reports.
Note: As the payment has been refunded the Line Item will now be owing. Your next step is to Void the Line Item.