The use of the Import for Student and Contact data allows any Hero site administrator to create new student records in Hero or update student information fields in bulk.
Note: Do not use the bulk import feature to update information for exisiting contacts without guidance from a Hero Consultant
IMPORTING LEARNERS AND CONTACTS
1. Create a .csv file with the fields of learner and contact information you wish to import in each column.
Note: You must have an NSN column with an entry here of an 8-10 digit number to identify your students
Note: when creating new students with the import process you must have at least one of the following enrolment status column in your CSV file
- Is pre-enrolled with the entry Yes for pre-enrols or No for current students
- Is Leaver column with the entry No for current students and Yes for left students
2. In HERO click Import Data in the Administration Menu
3. Click Students and Contacts
4. Select your student data file to upload either by dragging it into the Drop here box or by clicking browse to find it on your computer.
If you wish to change the file to upload, click REMOVE and then choose a new file as above
5. Click NEXT
6. The next view will show you three columns:
- Uploaded data is the column headings found in your .csv file.
- Fields are the fields you would like your data to be imported into.
- Available Fields are the fields in HERO that your data can be imported into.
All standard fields will be automatically mapped:
Only those fields that require mapping manually will be displayed. If you wish to view all mapped fields click the SHOW AUTO-MAPPED FIELDS button above the table. Click Hide to hide them again.
Map all unmatched fields manually:
Search for the Hero field name in the search box below Learner eg. If processing permissions, narrow down your search by entering Permission in the search box.
Drag the match on the right to the empty field area on the left until all fields have a match. If you find at this point that you have not created a required field, click Back to cancel the process. Return to this step once the missing field has been created.
To find fields for contact information or other enrolment information, click on Learner to reveal more options
7. Click NEXT
8. A preview of your data will be displayed to check. If all fields look correct, click IMPORT to proceed, otherwise click BACK to make changes to your field mapping.
9. Hero will display the number of student records that were:
- added (new students created)
- updated (information has been changed on a student)
- unchanged (the information in your csv matched that in Hero)
- skipped (the import missed this student ie. if the NSN was not present)
- errors and warnings will also be displayed under the feedback box
The DONE button will become active when the import is complete. Click DONE to finish.
Note: When updating existing student information the import will override any information that is currently in the system, even if one or more fields for a student is empty in your .csv file. Ensure that your import file contains the information you wish to keep if the field is not empty in HERO and do not include columns you do not want to update.
IDENTIFYING AND LINKING SIBLINGS
In Hero, it is the responsibility of the Administrator to link siblings when a new student is enrolled.
When creating new students with your import you will also need to identify and link any siblings which can be done as a one-off process detailed below. It is not expected to be used as an on-going method of linking siblings.
1. In HERO click Import Data in the Administration Menu.
2. Click Students and Contacts.
3. Click UPDATE SIBLING LINKS
4. This will create a list of students in the left column along with their potential siblings in the right. A potential sibling is identified by matching contacts with the same Type. i.e. The same person who is the Mother/Father on both students. In most cases this will connect siblings correctly but look out for those with a type of Guardian, Caregiver, Foster Parent or Grandparent. If a student is not a sibling to the one on the left click the ‘x’ to deselect the student.