In Hero, Statements can be either viewed or printed. Viewing statements is the preferred option for these reasons:
- Viewing access rights are set based on a single caregiver for a single student providing greater flexibility for blended families. e.g. a caregiver may be able to view the finances of one child in a family but not another.
- Caregivers can always view the full statement so can easily check historical payments made.
- Caregivers can see full payment details removing the need for non-donation receipts.
- Caregivers can pay line items instantly using the Stripe Credit/Debit Card processing system.
- Finance Officers do not have to print statements.
- Payments are often more frequent as finance viewing is always available.
The access to view finances is caregiver/student specific and is managed separately from the access to view student learning. This means that a caregiver may be able to view student learning for a particular student but not view finances and visa versa. It also means that a caregiver can have access to view the finances for one child in a family but not another. This is particularly useful in blended family situations where students with different secondary caregivers are linked as siblings. The caregiver will only see the student on a family statement that they have access to see.
ENABLING FINANCE VIEWING FOR CAREGIVERS
Before a caregiver can view finances online, their access to view needs to be enabled. This is part of a student's finance Account Settings. Refer to Managing Statement Recipients for details on how to set access.
Once a caregiver has finance access enabled, their name is available for selection, by the Finance Officer, to receive emails and app notifications when statements have been updated.
WHAT PARENTS CAN SEE
When a caregiver logs into Hero, they will be presented with the Caregiver Menu. The Finance icon will only exist if finance access is enabled.
The caregiver view is similar to that of the Finance Officer minus the processing buttons. On entry, it will default to UNPAID LINE ITEMS, but a caregiver may choose to view the full statement or the current year only.
As for Finance Officers, clicking the blue amount in the credit column will reveal the payments or other credit transactions applied against that line item.
PAYING LINE ITEMS ONLINE
Hero uses Stripe to allow caregivers to pay their accounts using Debit or Credit Card. This incurs a credit card processing fee of approximately 2.9% which by default is applied to the caregiver transaction. The confirmation screen, clearly shows the fees incurred. The school does not incur any fees.
Line Items paid using this method will automatically update the Line Item in Hero with an 'ONLINE' payment type so no additional keying is required by the Finance Officer.
To pay online, the caregiver clicks the slider on each line item they wish to pay followed by PAY SELECTED ITEMS. Part payments are not able to be made at this stage.
The payment processing screen will be displayed. This includes the fees applied.
The caregiver is able to complete the payment or cancel.