ENROL is the Ministry of Education's register of student enrolments. It is updated by schools as students enrol, change schools or leave the school system. All schools must use it. It provides the Ministry of Education with a tracking system to ensure that all students between the ages of 6 - 16 are receiving an approved education. A student is not able to be a 'current' student at more than one school.
Hero provides a school with the ability to update ENROL automatically as part of the enrolment process. Using the automated process ensures that ENROL and your school roll are in sync in preparation for Roll Returns. ENROL Integration requires your school's site to have a secure connection with the ENROL database. This is setup by the LINC-ED Hero team when your site is created. Please contact the Hero helpdesk if your connection to ENROL is not active.
Because a student can only be a current student a one NZ school, simply enrolling a student does not update ENROL. Students cannot be uploaded to ENROL until their NSN has been entered AND their first PRESENT attendance mark has been created. Validation embedded in this process ensures that user error is minimised.
Note: The student NSN number must already exist in ENROL.
MONITORING ENROL UPDATES
To ensure this step is carried out, staff with administration rights have an ENROL status section on their home page. This provides the administrator with a count of the number of arrivers and leavers that need updating.
To access a summary and fast navigation pathway to the bulk arrivals process:
1. Click REVIEW NOW
2. Click ARRIVALS
Alternatively, this can be accessed by selecting Enrolments > Upload Arrivals to ENROL from the Administration Menu.
You will be presented with a list of all students who have recently been made 'current' who are awaiting ENROL updating.
UPLOAD ARRIVAL(s) TO ENROL IN BULK
The bulk arrivals screen is divided into two parts.
Arrivals with Validation Errors (the bottom table) lists all students that are not ready for upload due to data errors in Hero. Once the errors are resolved, these students will advance to the top table. Each error requiring addressing is listed separately.
1. Click the information icon (i) to go directly to the student's information fields to add the NSN or amend inaccurate data.
2. Click the settings icon (cog) to go directly to Manage Student to change the status of a student i.e. move from Enrolled back to Pre-Enrolled.
3. To remove a student from the table i.e. they are showing due to an error or you have updated ENROL manually, select the student and click MARK AS ALREADY UPLOADED.
Arrivals Ready to Upload (the top table) lists all students that Hero identifies are ready for upload. These student's may still have errors resulting from an upload attempt i.e. data inconsistency with the ENROL record.
To upload the students:
1. Click the check box beside First Name to select all students for upload.
2. Unclick any that you may wish to temporarily exclude from upload.
3. Click UPLOAD SELECTED to process selected students.
4. Confirm that you wish to proceed. Click UPLOAD TO ENROL to continue or CANCEL to abort
5. A progress report will be displayed as each student is updated.
- Green status indicates a successful upload
- Red indicates this was a failed upload. Click VIEW to see why an upload failed. Validation errors may be as a result of a different DOB or Gender in ENROL or the student name does not match. The student may also be a pending enrolment at another school.
6. When a student has a Validation Error, the error needs to be fixed in Hero and the student needs to be uploaded again. The error will not be removed until the upload attempt as this type of error is returned from ENROL.
7. To remove a student from the table, select the student and click MARK AS ALREADY UPLOADED.
UPLOAD ARRIVAL TO ENROL FOR AN INDIVIDUAL STUDENT
1. Find the student using the search tools available
2. Click on the pop up menu icon
3. Select MANAGE STUDENT
4. Click UPLOAD ARRIVAL TO ENROL
This process will perform the same validations as the bulk process and will provide comprehensive error messaging e.g.
For data mismatch errors will you be provided with the option to update either ENROL or Hero.