This article outlines how you can create labels using exported data from Hero. You are able to create labels from any data in Hero using List Builder by downloading any list as an Excel file and following the process below.
Hero does not provide the facility to produce formatted labels due to the many different label options required by schools. Labels are produced using an external word processing tool e.g. Microsoft Word or Mac Pages.
A similar procedure can also be used to create forms or other documents in Microsoft Word with personalised fields.
1. Create your mail merge source document by selecting the fields you require in List Builder.
2. Click on the Create a list icon on the bottom right-hand side of the screen.
3. Click DOWNLOAD AS EXCEL for the most suitable format.
4. In Microsoft Word, select Mailings > Start Mail Merge > Labels
5. In the Label Options dialog box, choose your label supplier in the Label vendors list.
In the Product number list, choose the product number on your package of labels.
Your document now displays a table with an outline of the labels. If you are unable to view the table, click on Table Layout, and select View Gridlines.
6. Select File > Save to save your document as 'Student Labels'.
7. Select Mailings > Select Recipients > Use an existing List.
7. Navigate to the Downloads folder and select the downloaded file (this is likely to be Custom_List.xlsx)
8. Go to Mailings > Insert Merge Field
Insert each field to be printed by clicking the field name.
Format the fields in the first label so it looks the way you want the rest of your labels to look. This can include changing the font, size or spacing.
9. Select Mailings > Update Labels
This will apply your desired format to all labels on the page.
10. Select Mailings > Preview Results
If you need to make any changes, click Preview Results again, make the changes and select Update labels when done if you make changes.
11. Select Mailings > Finish & Merge > Print Documents to print immediately.
If you wish to update any of the labels individually before printing, select Mailings > Finish & Merge > Edit Individual Documents. When done, go to File > Print.