When contacts are created in Hero, a search is carried out to see if they already exist. This is to prevent contacts being duplicated. This search is not always successful as the data may differ slightly between the existing contact and the details you have entered, or the import data had full details against the contact in one place but only partial in another.
Failure to find unique matches will result in an additional record for the same contact being added. Any updates to the contact would have to be done more than once.
In this example you will see that Sherrill Poppins appears under Caregivers twice. She is linked to her own children (Martha and Mary) and she is also linked to Steven Poppins-Smith. She has been created twice as her email address matched for Martha and Mary but when processing Steven, she was only an Emergency Contact and had no email address entered.
To following steps will turn the above example into this. By having all students linked to the same contact record, if the basic details change for Sherrill e.g. phone number, the change will only need to be made once.
1. Find the email address for the contact by clicking on the contact's name. If your first occurrence of the name does not have an email address then try the next.
2. Take note of the email address.
3. Click on the Information (i) icon of the student who is linked to the occurrence of the contact that does not have the email address. In this example it is Steven.
4. Click on CONTACTS to take you to the contacts section.
5. Click EDIT and take note of the relationship fields as you will need to reapply them later. Close the screen once noted.
6. Remove the contact using the X in the top right corner. This is breaking the link with this student.
7. Re-add the contact using the email address to find the other contact record. Select ADD
8. Enter the email address for the contact which will result in the matching record being displayed. Click SELECT
9. Enter the relationship fields for this student (that were noted earlier) and click DONE
10. The new contact will be displayed as orange. Click the SAVE icon to update the student