The email address on a contact is the unique identifier for that person. Updating an email address will result in several different chains of events.
ADDING OR CHANGING THE EMAIL ADDRESS
To add or edit a contact's email address:
1. Navigate to the contact information - Updating Contact Information
2. Enter the updated or new email address into the email address field. Do not use uppercase characters.
This will start the contact checking process to see if this email address is already linked to a Hero account. One of four things will happen:
- the email address does not already exist in Hero - it is added without further processing Click the green save icon.
- the email address exists on a student or staff member in Hero - the email address cannot be added.
If it is a school email address, ask the contact to provide a personal email address as a replacement.
If it is not a school email address, contact the Helpdesk for assistance.
- the email address already exists on a contact in YOUR school - the merge contacts option will be displayed. Check that it is the same person. If so, click MERGE RECORDS (see process below), if not click CANCEL and remove the email address from the field.
- the email address exists on a contact in ANOTHER school - the secure merge contacts option (i.e. contact name only) will be displayed. Check that it is the same person. If so, click MERGE RECORDS, if not click CANCEL.
- If the background checks can determine that it is the same person and that it is associated with this family - the merge process will be activated.
- If the background checks cannot determine that it is the same person or that it is associated with this family - contact the Helpdesk for assistance.
The merge process will display any differing details between the current contact and the already existing contact. Note: This will change it for ALL connected schools so be considerate.
1. Click the Radio Buttons from each side to build the most comprehensive and accurate set of data for this contact, bearing in mind the following:
- the address needs to be the most up to date and most comprehensive.
- the name should be the most comprehensive i.e. if presented with an Asian name with the NZ name in brackets use this instead of just the NZ name, as another school might like both.
- if your occupation is blank but the other school has an occupation select the occupation.
- if the existing address is in another location entirely and your home phone number is blank but the other isn't, select the blank one as the home phone will no longer be valid.
2. Click MERGE RECORDS followed by DONE.
3. The contact will now have the most up to date data for both your school and any other connected schools.
4. Either find the student again or back arrow TWICE. The first back arrow will reveal either the original contact or the following message.
This is because the pathway you used may no longer exist due to the contact being merged with a different one.