Any staff member can take the attendance for any group or class within Hero. This includes being able to generate a movements record for each student if the entire group or class undergo a change of attendance code i.e. go offsite for sport or an excursion.
Schools have an option to turn on codes for teachers. This gives them an additional set of codes under the student photos to indicate why a student is absent. If this is not enabled, a staff member without administration rights will only be able to mark a student as Present or Unknown.
For more information see Setting your Options for Attendance
CREATING THE INITIAL ATTENDANCE MARK FOR A CLASS OR GROUP
1. Navigate to your class or group by clicking on the Groups and Classes icon
2. Under the class/group, click the pop up menu icon
Note: if you are already in your class/ group page, you can click on the pop up menu icon at the top left-hand side of your screen
3. Click on DAILY ROLL
4. To enter the initial attendance mark for the period/block click the required Period as defined in your school's timetable structure (i.e. DAY or MORNING or AFTERNOON).
5. Mark the attendance for your class.
Click on the photo of each student who is present. You will see their banner change to say the word Present.
If attendance marks are visible, the 'present' mark (based on the school's attendance code list) will be displayed in the box below.
If you incorrectly click on a student who is not present, click on their photo again to change back to Unknown.
If you have permission to amend student attendance marks, you can click on the mark box and select the reason for absence from the dropdown attendance code list.
If you do not have permission to amend student attendance marks, do not click on students who are absent. Their banner will remain with the word Unmarked. (NB Unmarked means that a child has not been marked at all, Unknown means that the student's attendance has been processed for this period but the reason for absence is not known. When processing class attendance all unmarked students will revert to unknown at the time of confirmation.)
To enter absence information about a student, click the pencil icon under their name.
Record the details in the box and click OK.
The pencil icon box will turn orange and the information will be visible to your office staff.
Mark all as...
There are also options to Mark all as PRESENT or OFFSITE (OFFSITE is not available if permission to change attendance marks has not been provided). If using these options it is best to mark all students as PRESENT/OFFSITE first and then return to mark the exceptions. If changing a student to a ?, this will change the student's banner to Unknown (this has the same meaning as Unmarked).
6. When you have entered all your absence information, click Next. The Next button will not be available if no students have been marked.
7. You will see a confirmation page. Check you have correctly indicated the students who are absent and present. Click CONFIRM to proceed or BACK to make a correction.
8. Once the roll has been confirmed, the Period button will turn green. The effective time recorded for the initial mark of the period will be the start of the period, based on the Attendance Structure.
Note: For Administrators processing the whole school daily roll, attendance must be confirmed by class in order for them to appear as green in the school attendance page. Taking the attendance by groups will not achieve this even if all the students have been given an attendance mark.
For more information see Processing the Administrators' Daily Roll
To take or change attendance for an individual student see Marking Attendance for an Individual Student
UPDATING STUDENT ATTENDANCE VIA A CLASS OR GROUP
If a teacher has permission to view and amend attendance marks, they can amend the attendance for the entire class or an individual student via the class roll. This is particularly useful if several students require change or the entire class is going to or returning from an offsite event.
1. Navigate to the daily roll for your class or group as above.
2. Click the required Period button as defined in your school's timetable structure (i.e. DAY or MORNING or AFTERNOON). This will be Green if attendance has already been marked for that period.
3. To change the attendance mark for an individual student, click on the mark box and select the reason for change from the dropdown attendance code list.
4. To change the attendance mark for the entire group or class, use the Mark all as PRESENT or Mark all as OFFSITE options.
5. Enter the reason for the change (if marking the group offsite) and the effective time (this defaults to the current time). This provides an accurate movement record for each student. Click MARK ALL AS OFFSITE or MARK ALL AS PRESENT.
6. When you have made all the changes required, click NEXT.
7. You will see the confirmation page. Re-check the student counts. Click CONFIRM to proceed or BACK to make a correction.
CORRECTING STUDENT ATTENDANCE VIA A CLASS OR GROUP
Mistakes do happen and if a teacher has marked the whole class or group incorrectly, it can be corrected without generating a new movement record for the students involved. This is done in the same way as above but by ensuring that the effective time used matches that of the original mark, the original mark will be replaced with the new one. The effective time for the first mark of any period relates to the start of that period as per the attendance structure. To find an effective time for any other movement, check the movement record for an individual student in that group.