The School Principal
The school Principal, by default, is the only staff member in a school with the required access to change staff permissions.
The permission for the Principal is set by the Hero team when the school site is created.
TO CHANGE PERMISSIONS FOR A STAFF MEMBER
1. Navigate to the Administration Menu and click on Staff Members
2. Click on the staff member's Profile picture
3. Click the PERMISSIONS tab. This is where you can view and change a staff member's permissions. Please contact the Hero Helpdesk if you are a school Principal and are unable to see this tab.
CHANGING STAFF PAGE ACCESS LEVEL
The Hero Confidential Pages feature enables schools to manage sensitive student data by allowing staff with administration rights to control who is able to view student pages. This is on a page by page basis and is effective for the whole school. Confidential Page settings can be overridden on an individual staff member / student / page basis to provide greater flexibility.
Having the ability to control what pages a staff member can see, opens up the possibilities of providing login access to relievers or outside agencies.
This is explained in more detail under Editing Page Settings
1. Select the appropriate page access level for the staff member:
Staff can be given access rights as follows:
- cannot see student or other staff details
- cannot see any student pages via the student menu unless specifically granted for an individual student
- cannot see page-based auto groups
- cannot see group menu options with the exception of the Daily Roll
- cannot see Tag Data Sheets
- cannot use the List Builder to create student lists
- can take the roll for an individual or group
Standard Access (default setting for new staff members)
- cannot see any student post-type pages that are designated as Sensitive or Confidential when viewing the student menu, unless specifically granted for an individual student
- cannot see any post-type pages that are designated as Sensitive or Confidential when viewing All Posts or Quick Posts from the group three dots menu
- cannot see page-based auto groups for Sensitive or Confidential pages
- cannot see Tag Data Sheets for Sensitive or Confidential pages
- cannot add subscriptions for Sensitive or Confidential pages
- will not get notifications to posts made on Sensitive or Confidential pages unless specifically granted for an individual student
- cannot see any student post-type pages that are designated as Confidential when viewing the student menu, unless specifically granted for an individual student
- cannot see any post-type pages that are designated as Confidential when viewing All Posts or Quick Posts from the group three dots menu
- cannot see page-based auto groups for Confidential pages
- cannot see Tag Data Sheets for Confidential pages
- cannot add subscriptions for Confidential pages
- will not get notifications to posts made on Confidential pages unless specifically granted for an individual student
- has access to view all student pages and associated data
Access Control Level
- can view all student pages and associated data
- can control (grant or remove) individual access for a specific staff member to view a specific page for a specific student. See help article Granting a Staff Member Access to View Restricted Access Student Pages
CHANGING FIELD ACCESS
Hero provides schools the ability to store personal medical or sensitive information for students, staff and caregivers with complete security. The Principal, or delegated staff members, have absolute control over who can see restricted information and set which fields will be restricted.
Activating this feature is as simple as setting security levels on both staff members and individual fields. These two settings will work together to limit viewing, notifications and reporting throughout Hero.
STAFF ACCESS OPTIONS
Staff access options can be set by the Principal or Principal's Delegate by navigating to the staff member's Permissions tab and adjusting the Field Access and Additional Permissions. This is explained in more detail in the help article Editing Staff Details
OPTIONS FOR SETTING STAFF ACCESS TO VIEW RESTRICTED FIELDS
Staff can be given access to view any combination of the following fields:
- Student Medical
- Student Sensitive
- Caregiver Medical
- Caregiver Sensitive
- Staff Medical
- Staff Sensitive
Note: a staff member must be a School Hero Administrator to update Staff Medical or Sensitive Fields settings. These will be greyed out if not available to select.
By assigning one or more of these permissions to staff, they will be able to view any fields matching this permission. See help article Managing Restricted Student, Staff and Caregiver Fields for how to set your restricted fields.
For Staff members without Access to view a restricted field:
- the field and any entered data will not appear on the student, caregiver or staff member record
- the field will not be an option to select in list builder
- any auto group using the field to identify students will be locked to prevent the staff member viewing the students with this piece of information.
The Principal is able to assign the permission "Principal's Delegate" to another staff member to allow them the ability to update permissions for other staff. It is possible to set this permission for more than one staff member. We would recommend at least one delegate is set for times when the Principal is unavailable.
If a staff member is assigned as the “Principal” or “Principal’s Delegate” they can:
See and update Field Access for all staff
Assign Additional Permissions to other admin staff (excluding “Principal”)
Process Enrolment Applications
Staff members with the "Process Enrolment Applications" permission set are able to:
View and process new applications to enrol students at your school (see help article - Adding a New Student)
View enrolment application forms for students (pre-enrolled, current or former) via Manage Student (see help article - Viewing the Original Online Enrolment Form for a Student)
Approve Roll Returns
Staff members with the "Approve Roll Returns" permissions set are able to:
- Approve and upload Roll Returns
This should be limited to only the Principal or Acting Principal. More detail can be found in the help article Ensuring the Principal has Access to Approve Roll Returns
Can Pin Posts
Staff members with the "Can Pin Posts" permissions set are able to:
- Pin a post to the top of the staff, student or community feed (see help article - Pinning a Post to the Top of the Staff, Student or Community Feed)