Class teachers are responsible for marking the roll for their class, however it is usually up to the Office Administrator/Attendance Officer to follow up on absences. This is done via the Administrators' Daily Roll.
If your school is intending to use text messaging to notify caregivers of an unexplained absence, this needs to be turned on for both the school and the caregiver. Refer to article Sending Text Messages to Caregivers.
PROCESSING THE DAILY ROLL
1. Navigate to the Administration menu. If you have a wide-screen device this will already be visible on the left-hand side of your screen. If not, click on the Administration menu icon at the top left-hand side of your screen.
2. Under the heading Administration select Attendance
The Administrators' Daily Roll is divided into 5 sections:
- Date and Time: Which roll is being taken. This will default to today's date and the period that relates to the current time of day.
- Attendance Reports: Reports relating to today's absentees.
- Present: The number of students present and the class rolls. These are used to check for marked/unmarked registers and for processing paper rolls.
- Unexplained: Those students whose absence is currently unexplained.
- Movements: Those students who have been marked with any code other than Present and the time range relating to that code.
DATE AND TIME
The attendance period (e.g. Morning / Afternoon or Day or Period 1 / Period 2 etc) will default according to the time of day. Click on the period button to change from the default.
To adjust a roll for a different day, change the date. Note: Text messaging from the daily roll is only available for the current day. When adjusting the date, texting messaging will be disabled.
Select CURRENT ABSENTEES to produce a list of all students currently absent for the period selected and the reason for their absence. Printing this will assist in the roll taking process in the event of an emergency evacuation.
Note: This will only be accurate if the roll has been taken for all classes.
Select UNEXPLAINED STUDENT LIST if you have a large list of Unexplained absences and phone calls need to be made away from your computer.
CLASS ATTENDANCE AUDIT if your Attendance Auditor requires a report outlining the date and time that the attendance was taken for a specified class(es). This can be for any term or date range.
Select ABSENCES AND TRUANCY REPORT to obtain statistical analysis of the Justified and Unjustified Absence rates for the following student groups: - Whole School, Year Level, and Gender. This can be for any term or date range.
At a glance the administrator can see if the roll has been taken for a class. Green signifies a completed roll and white an unmarked roll. From here, an administrator can process a paper roll for a class.
1. Click on the class to open up the roll. All students will be displayed.
2. Sort the class by whichever sequence your paper roll appears in.
3. Mark each student or alternatively mark only those who are absent and use the Mark All buttons to complete the others. To mark a student Present, click the profile. The student will display as Green. To select an alternative code click on the ? box and select the code from the drop down list.
4. To record a reason for the absence, click the Pencil icon, enter the message and click OK.
5. To mark the remaining attendance in bulk select the Mark all as buttons.
The Present button will mark all unmarked students as Present. The Offsite will mark all unmarked students using the offsite codes available for your school's jurisdiction.
Select the code, enter the reason and the time the class went offsite. NB: The 'effective from' time will default to the period start time for the first mark of the period. Click MARK ALL AS OFFSITE. Adjustments can be made to individual children prior to clicking the Next button.
6. Click NEXT to preview the attendance.
7. Compare the preview counts against your paper roll and either CONFIRM or go BACK.
UPDATING STUDENT ATTENDANCE VIA A CLASS
An Office Administrator can amend the attendance for the entire class or an individual student via the class roll. This is particularly useful if several students require change or the entire class is going to or returning from an offsite event.
1. Click the required Period button as defined in your school's timetable structure (i.e. DAY or MORNING or AFTERNOON).
2. Click on the class to open up the roll. All students will be displayed.
3. To change the attendance mark for the entire group or class, use the Mark all as PRESENT or Mark all as OFFSITE options.
4. Enter the reason for the change (if going offsite) and the effective time (this defaults to the current time). This provides an accurate movement record for this student for the day. Click MARK ALL AS PRESENT or MARK ALL AS OFFSITE.
5. When you have made all the changes required, click NEXT.
6. You will see the confirmation page. Re-check the student counts. Click CONFIRM to proceed or BACK to make a correction.
CORRECTING STUDENT ATTENDANCE VIA A CLASS
Mistakes do happen and if the attendance for the whole class has been marked incorrectly, it can be corrected without generating new movement records for the students involved. This is done in the same manner as above but by ensuring that the effective time used matches that of the original mark, the original mark will be replaced. The effective time for the first mark of any period relates to the start of that period as per the attendance structure. To find an effective time for any other movement, check the movement record for an individual student in that group.
The Unexplained table provides a list of all student's who are showing as Unknown (?) after the attendance for their class has been marked. This will not include students whose class attendance has not yet been done.
1. To mark those you are aware of:
- Enter the reason for their absence in the Notes column and Save.
- Click the All Day slider (not present for schools with a single period structure) if they will be away for the entire day (this slider will only show for the first period of the day.)
- If it is NOT the first period of the day, the All Day slider will be replaced with the attendance marks for up to 4 previous periods. (i.e. for schools using Morning/Afternoon the morning mark will show when the afternoon attendance is being taken. For schools using multiple periods the past 4 periods will show if available. For schools with only 1 period this will never show)
- Click the appropriate code from the Quick List. (this will consist of the most commonly used attendance codes for your country/area)
- If the code does not show in the Quick List click the More codes icon for the remaining codes.
2. If a phone call to a parent is required, click VIEW to obtain the contact information for this student.
3. If SMS text messaging is activated you are able to send a text to the designated mobile phone numbers for the contacts on this student. 'Receives Text Messages' is set as one of the Relationship fields when adding your contacts. To quickly check if a contact will receive a text, click VIEW. The text icon will be displayed if the contact is set to receive texts.
SENDING A TEXT MESSAGE FOR UNEXPLAINED ABSENCES
1. To send text messages, click SELECT ALL UNSENT. This will turn on the Send SMS slider on all students in the list. You can adjust these sliders if you wish to not send a text to a particular student. Perhaps you are aware that the student will be arriving late.
2. To clear your selection, click DESELECT ALL.
3. If a student has no caregivers who are set to receive texts, their slider will be disabled. A tool tip over the deactivated slider explains this.
4. Click SEND SMS TO ALL SELECTED to send the texts.
5. A tick will indicate that a text for this student has been sent. This is particularly helpful if some classes have not yet marked their attendance. You can clearly see, which students have already been processed and which have not. These ticks will carry forward to any roll later in the day, so you can identify and send a text for students absent in a later period who may have been present in the morning.
6. A student marked with a tick, can have a further text sent if necessary, by manually clicking the slider.
7. The first reply sent to texts will come via email to the designated email address. This email provides the full student details for easy identification. Clicking on the link in the email will take you directly to the administrator's daily roll.
The Movements section contains a list of all students who have a code that is not (P, tick or ?) and the time frame relating to that code. A student may appear multiple times if they have been marked absent on more than one occasion thoughout the period i.e. they went to the medical room and then went home.